This hearty and filling vegetarian dish will make a good side dish for lunch and dinner. The assortment of vegetables provides a good variety of flavours while the touch of spices adds a nice zing to the stew. You can mix and match different vegetables combinations to get your perfect vegetable stew combination.
Vegetable Stew Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
– 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste (no salt or sugar added)
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cubed into 1-inch cubes
– 6 medium zucchinis, unpeeled, cubed into 1-inch cubes
– 1 tablespoon minced garlic
– 2 large bell peppers, chopped
1)In a large bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, water, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, cumin and paprika. Set aside.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
3) Add the eggplant, zucchinis and garlic. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
4) Add the bell peppers and the tomato mixture. Gently mix with a wooden spoon to blend everything together. Bring to a boil.
5) Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 30 minutes, stirring gently every 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
6) Remove from heat, stir one more time, and allow to slightly cool before serving, about 10 minutes. Serve as a side dish, or spoon over cooked brown rice. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat in microwave.
Source of recipe: Healthy Recipes
Source of image: U.S. Department of Agriculture