Hiyayakko is the name for cold tofu (beancurd) salad in Japanese. It is basically uncooked tofu that is served with Japanese soy sauce and garnished with green onions, ginger and dried bonito flakes. This is a very simple dish that is easy to make and is healthy. Keep this cold tofu salad recipe handy if you want something light for lunch.
Since you will be eating uncooked tofu, you need to make sure that you wash it properly. Uncooked tofu tastes bland and you may find it difficult to serve to your young child. The soy sauce and the dried bonito flakes make this dish tasty. Try not to add too much ginger to this dish if serving it to young children.
Japanese Cold Tofu Salad Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
– 2 green onions
– Ginger root, about 2″
– Tofu (400g)
– Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
– Soy sauce (or optionally Ponzu Sauce)
1) Slice green onions very thinly. Grate ginger.
2) Wash tofu under softly running water. Cut into 4 pieces.
3) Place a piece of tofu on a dish and top with some of the green onions, grated ginger, and Katsuobushi.
4) Pour some soy sauce or Ponzu Sauce on top.
Source of recipe: Japanese Cooking 101