This easy sausage roll recipe will be handy to have if you feel like eating a homemade pastry and want to control the quantity of the ingredients to suit your taste. It is easy to make but it requires around 20 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to cook.
You can eat the sausage roll on its own or you can dip it in ketchup or your favourite sauce.
The sausage roll makes a simple snack but you should not eat it too often. We do not advocate eating processed food too often because of all the health hazards connected to it. Eating in moderation is best!
Easy Sausage Roll Recipe
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 2 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
– 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
– 2 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– 8 thick beef sausages
– Tomato chutney and salad greens, to serve
1) Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until tender. Add sugar. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until caramelised. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
2) Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares. Place 1 square on workbench. Brush 1 edge with egg. Spread 1 tablespoon onion mixture over pastry. Top with 1 sausage. Roll up pastry to enclose sausage, with egg-brushed edge on top. Press to secure. Place, seam side down, on tray. Repeat with remaining pastry, egg, onion mixture and sausages. Brush tops with egg. Score with a knife. Sprinkle with pepper.
3) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and pastry is golden. Serve with chutney and salad.
Source of recipe: taste.com.au
Source of first image: Jeremy Keith
Source of second image: Sharon